Some things I’ve learned over the last three weeks of staying away from added sugars.
1) I don’t eat alot of added sugar really. It mostly comes in the form of sauces like bbq or teriyaki.
2) people will sneak sweet tea into all sorts of things even if you ask for un sweet. This has been my biggest source of slip ups during the last month.
3) Some things are better without the added ransom sugar or other ingredients. Peanut butter and jam have been our biggest surprises.
4) some things are nearly impossible to find. Cereal and bread have been the biggest challenge for me. I actually gave up on bread and found the lowest sugar content possible or made my own.
5) We will probably stick to a low sugar diet after this week is over. It has certainly made us more conscience of the random added sugar to things that don’t need it. Like soup or peanutbutter. But then we’ll have room for the occasional cookie or pie with dinner.
One more sugar free week. But Monday next week I’m certainly going to have a chocolate dipper peanutbutter cookie that I’ve been stashing away.
Last week there was another new girl in class. It made me feel better to see where how far I’d come and feel like I kinda knew what was going on. It gets easier.
A has decided that this class just isn’t for her, so I’m alone here on out. I’m ok with that. I think i just needed someone for the first day to figure some things out, but I’m totally fine by myself now. The ladies are great and welcoming and it is not at all intimidating.
I have not noticed any weight differences, but I don’t get as winded as I used to so I count that as a win.
Food challenges are dumb. They are and I want a donut. Which is why No added sugar is my new food challenge. No other reason than to see if I can do it really.
Rules are simple to remember, even if they are hard to enforce.
1) no added sugar – this means reading labels and no sugar in my coffee.
2) no fake or substitute sugar – also reading labels and no mixed drinks with coke zero
3) fruits and veggies that naturally contain sugar are fine, especially if you buy them in their raw forms
Now I don’t add sugar to many things as it is, but after looking at labels, it’s in a ton of things. Tomato soup?
Breakfast is a bitch and there are exactly two (cold) cereals at my usual grocery store that do not have sugar. Looks like I’ll be eating Puffed Wheat and berries for a month. It’s also a good thing that I like oatmeal and veggies.
I am also not starting out cold turkey. I was half way through a box of cereal when my week started, there was a half full jar of pasta sauce and a I did not check the dressing of my vegan pad Thai last night. I’m not keen on letting food go to waste so those will be used up before using alternatives with no sugar. I’m not sure if I’ll worry about bread if I want a piece or a sandwich, I doing eat much and we purchased super low sugar bread as it is. I’ll decide when it comes time.
These past three days have not been bad. But right now there are free donuts in the break room and I really want one. 23 more minutes of work and I think I’ll succeed in not eating one.
Another week alone, but with my full knee brace I did not walk out in pain so Yay! I’m getting more into the groove but I am really distracted if one of the instructors stands in front of me trying to show me whatever move we were doing. It’s much easier for me to focus on the front of the room and the music, they’re just too close.
I still have no sense of rhythm.
Week 3 was good but I really screwed up my knee and ended up wearing braces for the next week. Part of me was also disappointed that my partner in crime seemed to be looking for any excuse to give up in the middle of a session. I get being tired and winded and not being able to follow along, but it felt like overkill. The constant disparaging comments also didn’t help.
Week 4 my knee still hurt so skipped Chickboxing and went to the Sexy stretch class. It certainly hurt, but was definitely something I’ll do again. Apparently there is some things I’ve been doing wrong in yoga.
Today is week 5 and I’m back to Chickboxing with my full knee brace. Hopefully that will make a difference. The hubs would prefer if I could go hiking this weekend.